Sunday, April 19, 2009

Awesome UAE!

Okay so last Thursday started off to be just like any other Thursday- one, maybe two people wanted to go to the Danat, and the rest of us were just easily convinced. But unfortunately, or fortunately, however you look at it, most of us girls were really in the dancing mood, which meant the men were in the buying mood, which meant we were in the drinking mood. So one thing lead to another, and eventually police were knocking on my door at 4 am, I’m in my PJs, and I so was not in that kind of mood. Of course there are many missing pieces to this story, like what happened from 11pm to 4 am; that’s not because they are too incriminating or anything, but rather because they are just too boring and typical to be included. And by typical, I mean I didn’t lose my phone or camera, so it couldn’t have been that typical. Actually I don’t think I brought them, but that’s besides the point. Anyway, we came, we danced, we conquered, but then we went home.

Now if you are confused to as why the police were at my house looking for what seemed to be Lorrayne, so was I. I said that I thought she was in her house, asked why they needed her, they couldn’t understand me, and that was basically it. So minutes after they left, I creeped upstairs in case they were still there, which they were, and army crawled from one end of the apartment to the other so they couldn’t see me, which they could. I asked Lorrayne why they needed her, and she thought it was because Jasmine was being loud and rude to the cops. Jasmine loud and rude? Nhhoow! Never! The cops went to Jasmine’s house about a domestic disturbance call they got from Mr. Sala, the man that lives directly below me (umm this is why you don’t let families live near a large group of shit shows) and they knocked on Jasmine’s door for questioning, but when they wouldn’t/couldn’t show her identification that proved they were in fact officers of the law, and not just some Emirati creeps knocking on her door in dish dashes in the wee hours of the nicgh, she kinda threw a tantrum, yelled, and took their pictures.

Yeah, so we woke up the next day, thirsty and confused.

So this is what really happened (as I understand it):

Mr. Sala woke up around 4 to get some water to find his front door wide open. Worried there was an intruder in his house, he called the cops. That same night, two Indian men at the Indian camp had gotten into a deadly fight over money or something, resulting in one murder and one critical injuries, therefore, the cops were on very high alert. The cops showed up coincidentally at the same time all of us got home. The cops then started questioning anyone who was around at that time, Jasmine included. Jasmine started to make a scene (this is where she took yelled at them “You are stupid! Your country is stupid!” took their pictures, etc) and Lorrayne came down to save Jasmine from herself, so she didn’t get into too much trouble with the authority. Mr. Sala told the cops he thought they went to my house, so the cops came to ask me where they were. I said upstairs, they couldn’t understand me, they left empty handed.

Did you know that it is illegal to be drunk in the UAE? It is also illegal to buy alcohol from a hotel you are not a guest at, to say mean things to someone else, and to take a picture of someone without their permission.

Therefore Jasmine, who was guilty of all 4, had to go in for questioning at the police station at 9:30 last night.

Her punishment: to say sorry to the officer at the municipal court for calling him and his country stupid.

And they say their country isn’t stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment